“Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.”

Psalm 37:4


Thursday, December 4, 2008

Welcome to my blog!

I look forward to sharing my adoption journey with my family & friends. In January, after a lot of thought and prayer, I made the huge decision to adopt a baby. I’ve always known I wanted to be a mom, and while it isn’t happening the way I figured it would, I am extremely excited and feel very much at peace with my decision. I have been interested in adoption for a long time, and felt drawn to becoming mom to a child who needs a home. I chose to adopt internationally from Vietnam and got the ball rolling in gathering all the necessary paperwork to make it happen. Unfortunately, the U.S. began accusing Vietnam of unethical adoption practices over the summer, and the program officially closed in September. I didn’t know what I was going to do as my options were limited since many countries won’t adopt to single parents. The head of my local agency touched base with me in late September to see if I had made any decisions. She had just returned from adopting 2 sisters from Ethiopia, so out of the blue, I casually asked if she ever thought Ethiopia would open to singles, and then BOOM! she informed me that they would be able to accept me into the Ethiopia program. It blew my mind as I didn’t think Ethiopia was accepting singles, but I learned they will approve a small quantity of single applicants. I prayed about it, did some research, and talked to a few people who have adopted from Ethiopia or are in the process, and it didn’t take long before I reached the conclusion that God wouldn’t have opened this door if I wasn’t supposed to walk through it, so I have proceeded with the transfer. Everyone around me has been so supportive, and I know this baby will be surrounded by love. I’m a little freaked out – and very excited! – that the current wait is only 6-9 months as opposed to the 3+ year wait I was expecting from Vietnam. Once I receive my referral (meaning I get the call that they have a baby for me), I will likely have to wait another 2-3 months before traveling to Ethiopia to bring my baby home. By this time next year, I could be a mom! I am requesting an infant girl, 0-12 months. I am just a few weeks from submitting my dossier – an unbelievably extensive amount of paperwork for those of you unfamiliar with the international adoption process - which will officially put me on the waiting list. Please keep me in your prayers as I ride this rollercoaster. International adoption is an adventure, full of highs and lows, but I am keeping the faith that my child will be presented to me when the time is right.

1 comment:

Annie said...

hi, gina--

welcome to blogging and our agency yahoo group. I arrived here from your post on our yahoo group. I am also single and adopted my 11 month daughter, Maya (then 3 months old) from CHI in June.

Single motherhood can be hard at times but more often than not, it's simply AMAZING :)

I look forward to following your journey.

Annie